PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot re-employment ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2020, 00:41
krismiler

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I think pilots in their 30’s/40’s who have had everything ripped away after finally starting to see the fruits of many years of climbing the ladder, will have the greatest challenges.
In your 30s you're still young enough to change careers permanently or get back into flying when things pick up.
In your 40s it's more difficult and your commitments are higher.
In your 50s it will be much more difficult, however you may have done well enough to retire/semi retire.
In your 60s forget it, by the time recruitment starts again you'll be too old.

Driving jobs always make the list, however most states require you to have held a Heavy Rigid licence for a year before you can apply for a Heavy Combination licence. Uber is easy to get into, very flexible and much easier with GPS having replaced the Refidex. However some states have suspended new driver sign ups due to COVID.

Earlier this year I was appraising my options just in case, and FIFO on the mines in WA seemed quite appealing with $110 000/year for 2 weeks on/1 week off for dump truck drivers. If you can get onto a grader $200 000/year is possible.

Breaking into a new area of employment is usually difficult, more so at a time like this but anyone who has done the hard yards in GA won't be too put off. Remember the number of charter companies you knocked on the door of before you got a break ? Remember trying to get a twin job with 10 hours M/E time ? Remember thinking you would never even get onto a turbo prop let alone an airline ?

These days any job will usually be better than the shonky GA employers of 20 years ago who didn't even pay the award.