PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NO Instrument App/NO TAF - Alternate ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2020, 00:38
Capn Rex Havoc

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
I guess I am looking at this from the perspective of never having seen it before, therefore as the uninitiated - I am looking at it from direct translation fo the regulation in print. To the folk who are using terms like - "the assumption is " or "it makes not sense" etc, provides little guidance.

Under the Auspices of ALTERNATE AERODROMES the over arching statement is11.7.1.3 as writing here.
  1. When an aerodrome forecast is not available or is “provisional”, the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate that has a firm forecast.

That sentence is not a conditional one, it is (to me at least) a straight out order.

oggers posted
    "11.7.3.2 Notwithstanding the above, a flight may be planned under the IFR by day to a destination aerodrome which is not served by a radio navigation aid without the requirement to provide for a suitable alternate aerodrome, provided that
a. not more than SCT cloud is forecast below the final route segment LSALT plus 500FT and forecast visibility at the destination aerodrome is not less than 8KM; and
b. the aircraft can be navigated to the destination aerodrome in accordance with para 4.1"
Taken with the aforementioned flight planning requirement:
That sub section (11.7.3.2) is under the RADIO NAV AIDS SECTION.
That sub section (11.7.3.2) deals with Alternate planning from the perspective of radio nav aids.

The sub section (11.7.2.12) is under the WEATHER CONDITIONS SECTION.
In the sub section(11.7.2.12) for IFR flight it outlines three conditions for ALTERNATE MINIMAThis section states
For IFR flights, the alternate minima are as follows:
  1. For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure, the alternate minima published on the chart (see ENR 1.5, Section 6.).
  2. For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure where an aerodrome forecast is unavailable or is “provisional”, the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate.
  3. For aerodromes without an instrument approach procedure, the alternate minima is the lowest safe altitude for the final route segment plus 500FT and a visibility of 8KM (also refer ENR 1.10 Sub-section 1.4)
I guess, in summary, my take is that the NAV AID and WEATHER SUB SECTIONS of the ALTERNATE Chapter are referring to ALTERNATE MINIMA, where as the main section to the ALTERNATE chapter is outlining an overall caveat, ie no TAF = Alternate.

It is bloody confusing to say the least, as can be seen on these posts, and the ones in the past. Be great is CASA could clarify it.