PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot re-employment ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2020, 22:40
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know some pilots who hold a HGV licence and drive trucks whenever there's no flying. I also know some marine personnel who do the same in between contracts (in the world of ships, relatively few hold permanent jobs, most work on contracts that are 4-8 months in length and you have to look for a new one almost every time you step ashore). Few truck drivers are career drivers, most only do this job temporarily. Also, starting as a driver, you can advance your career in the logistics company as someone in dispatch and management. Could be an option if you're looking for something to fill in a gap between now and the next flying job or between now and retirement. Many of those jobs only involve driving short distances, so you won't necessarily get to sleep in the driver's cab even once. But, if you do - be very wary of where you stop. On some dodgy parking lots, you can easily get gassed and robbed while sleeping. Worse than that, there have been cases of drivers who were not aware that they had been gassed and ended up getting on the road and getting in an accident because of dizziness.

Another option I can think of is teaching. Depending on your knowledge, interests and aptitude towards teaching, you might be able to find a job as a lecturer in some technical subject. Ask around the educational institutions in your area. It doesn't have to be an ATO, quite the contrary. Universities and colleges tend to look for people who have actual industrial experience, as opposed to purely academic one, for the delivery of some practically orientated modules.