PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian interim report on Max 737
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2020, 19:14
nicknamepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alf5071h

These views rely on assumption, that a crew would assess the situation as trim runaway and choose that checklist - and execute it correctly. Pprune has discussed the piloting view extensively, and further debate is unlikely to changed 'fixed' minds
that’s wrong. Whether or not the trim runs and then stops, it doesn’t matter. What else are you going to do about it? Just let it do that for the entire flight until you’re 20 feet in the ground? I’ve had runaway trims that stopped and went again, some slow others fast. A wire making intermittent contact with a ground will do just that.

While Boeing’s practices have definitely come into question, so is the pilot performance as this crew did nothing about it. All the captain did was try to engage the autopilot, 6 times. They ran the correct checklist. And only completed one step on it while ignoring everything else. The F/O manually trimmed in the wrong direction and then finally reversed the only step completed and trimmed up from 2.1 to 2.3. I don’t fault them for reversing the step, anyone would, but I wouldn’t if I was going to trim that much. I’ve always been under the impression that any crew in this situation would reverse the step to actually trim the **** out of the plane. And then put the switches back afterwards, which they didn’t and had 10 seconds to do it. When they specifically confirmed the emergency; that the problem was with the trim. They knew it was running, and still disregarded the switches after trimming. Pilot performance was as bad as it gets, and call’s Ethiopia’s training into question. They obviously don’t teach their pilots anything about the trim. They likely tell them to just let autopilot handle it