PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-5
Thread: Jet2-5
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2020, 17:57
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
I suppose it depends upon whether Jet2 views it's business as an IT operators that sells seat only as a side line, or a scheduled operator that sells blocks of seats to it's in-house IT operator. As I recall it started as the latter, but now appears to have morphed into the former. Ryanair a definitely very much an airline first; but it looks as though EasyJet are looking looking to move much more in the direction and the package holiday sector.
Having had experience of the easyJet package holiday, I'm not sure that it can work out for them.

Package holidays for the most part are aimed at families and couples who want an easy experience where everything is looked after for you and you can sit back and relax from the minute you arrive at the airport until you leave UK arrivals a couple of weeks later. To ensure the customer gets that experience you have to invest in making your operation one that focuses on the customer and getting repeat business, not one that focuses on the absolute bottom line of cost. Since EZY are a true low-cost operator (which will still be most of their business), they always have and always will focus their airline on that bottom line - the cheapest handling contract, the cheapest staff at the other end, cheapest transport experience to resorts, and so on. Everything is a cheap 3rd party supplier to maximise that profit against cheaper airfares on it's seat only stuff.

Jet2 / J2Holidays operates in the opposite way, vertical integration with most of the operation done by in-house departments - total focus on providing the best customer experience to ensure repeat custom. The seat only stuff will never make the same profit margins as EZY as it's a whole different model.

As I say, I've done the EZY package and it was a painful experience - one that might suit young couples on city breaks with different expectations, but certainly not the majority of IT customers such as families and older couples who have saved up all year for their relaxing week in the Med.