PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Pre-Flight Testing Help Restore International Travel?
Old 25th Oct 2020, 07:19
DingerX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, the evidence being touted as proving that transmission on an airplane is rare is extremely weak. There are easy and convincing studies that can be done, but they would require the collaboration of an airline and the results might not be favorable to their business. Until someone comes forward with that kind of study, I ain't buying simulations of humans, computer models, or, as in the case above, pointing to a lack of evidence for something that hasn't been looked at. Pandora's box, by the same logic, was perfectly safe.

Second, it's not just confidence. I have people around the world, money to bring them together in the same room, and the mandate to do so. How am I going to do that at the moment?

Third, unintended consequences: load factors are way down, schedules are slashed, and airlines can cancel flights for lack of capacity. The people I know who are flying all have stories of enduring multiple cancellations, rebookings, and baroque routings. So, if I do want to go somewhere, unless it's Long Haul I'm more likely to get there faster and with less trouble by driving.