PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Pre-Flight Testing Help Restore International Travel?
Old 25th Oct 2020, 01:02
ph-ndr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLF here, I try to stay out of most talk in here, but I feel I have some to add here, as I am one of those who went from a lot of flying to not having been inside an airport since start of March.

I had written a much longer version of this, but it just got too winding. What it boils down to this time is that this isn't a security threat and the industry can try "more of the same", which is what it has done historically done with security since th 50ies and 60ies by adding more security (wether it works or not, consumers have felt safe and that kept people flying).

This time around the threat is that a lot of consumers have lost faith in society in general being able to handle this in a low enough risk manner. We have a number of countries with politics have become heathed enough that other actors have been able turn fixing this pandemic into politics.

All in all, if there is a test that would let me show up 30 minutes early and get a test and result before going through security then I'm all for it. It still doesn't solve that on the ground where I'm going there still is chaos and risk. It doesn't solve that when I go back home I have to deal with quarantine. It doesn't solve that more and more research seem to agree that the long term effects of covid-19 infections are far worse than the initial onset itself.

The fix here, to get back into the glorious past (2019) is that this needs to be solved across societies, not only inside the airline industry.

Last edited by ph-ndr; 25th Oct 2020 at 05:33.