PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tolerating an un-airworthy aircraft. Wing drops at stall
Old 24th Oct 2020, 21:35
fitliker

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
The comments section in the log book allow a pilot to write any defects on the flight . Did the article writer consider putting the wing drop in the log book ?
Snagging an airplane allows maintenance the opportunity to correct defects before they become expensive . Checking the rigging takes minutes , looking at the spar box for damage might require some seats to be removed . But it is always better and cheaper to find a problem on the ground than take a problem flying where it will get real expensive.

I wonder how the pilot discovering the fault and not snagging it , might feel if the next pilot came to grief over his inactions to ground the aircraft or at least prevent stall practice until maintenance has a look . I have grounded lots of airplanes . And Ferried wounded birds home to get fixed .One Cessna Caravan I grounded without looking at it when the pilot told me she saw it move when the forklift went past it . Just a small scratch on the elevator, might not have noticed . the small scratch through a ten foot fulcrum did massive damage to the internals . Not visible until the tail cone was removed . That particular plane repair was way cheaper than the insurance premium increases the company would have suffered if we just let it go to the next inspection . Or we might have lost more revenue through fear from a passenger market that is more frightened by death and dismembering than delays .
When in doubt talk to maintenance and write it in the book . Next Pilot might not be as lucky .