PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Post award photograph maybe?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2020, 14:49
David Rayment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW2 Post award photograph maybe?

Whilst trawling through my Father's aviation papers I came upon this photograph. My Dad was not one for keeping wartime memorabilia so it must have had some significance for him (He was killed in '58, Hermes G-ALDV) so I was interested in finding out some more about the gentlemen in this photograph. They are all post tour (I assume) - most have the DFC and they are not all pilots. Ranks are from pilot officer to squadron leader. On the original I can spot Air Gunners, Observers, Navigators and there are a couple of 'S' (Signaller). What I would like to find out is the where, when and why? Gordon finished his tour on 27/12/44 as a Flying Officer and was released from active service 16/1/47 as a Flight Lieutenant so the time the photograph was taken must be between those two dates. He was awarded the DFC as a F/L date unknown, missed the King, got award by post maybee? On 31/8/45 he was a Flying Officer but in the photo he is hiding his rank rings! . Oh and the large guy in the front row with the fine but unruly moustache has I think, a pair of pathfinder wings. After his tour Gordon went onto: Conversion Unit GIF Silverstone; 12 OTU, Chipping Warden; 84 (or 85) OTU Husbands Bosworth, and finally 17 OTU Silverstone.

I guess this is a long shot with not much to go on - anyone recognise anything on this photograph? Even down to the magnificent tin shed that probably, like so many, hung on so bravely after the war