PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 24th Oct 2020, 08:55
DeltaNg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roundwego
It is interesting that no one has mentioned the different ability to recognise changing parameters using vertical strip indicators rather than clock style ones. On a clock style indicator one just has to glance at the position of the needle to recognise a relative value. On a strip indicator, one has to actually read a numeric value and then translate that into a value which is then compared with “normal”. For example, if the 3 o'clock position on a conventional ASI relates to Vy then a glance at the gauge will ring an unconscious bell saying “I am at the point where any reduction in speed will need more power to stop an increase in ROD”. A strip indicator requires one to read a digital value, convert it to an analogue mental model and then compare that with a Flight Manual graph before concluding a consequence.

Which option do you think is the easier processing function?
I certainly think UA's in a Glass Cockpit require a few hundred milliseconds more thought than an analogue cockpit. Same for engine intruments, the bodies used to be rotated so in the normal range the needle pointed vertically upwards. Easy to spot one needle abnormal as a quick glance, before it gets to the amber. Not so with digital.

I'm all for technology, but I have always been disappointed with 'next gen' helicopters.