PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus 747s - did they consider an alternative?
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 12:29
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Back in the 80s I lived in Bermuda and did a whole lot of trans Atlantic travel ( alongside numerous LON-BDA trips ,which only go 3/4 of the way across and didnt operate every day) flying mostly east coast to LHR and always AA?BA for the Air Miles. There were some regular meetings in Dublin but they were usually covered by BDA-LHR or LGW and then on to DUB. So when I had to get there on one of the days with no direct BDA London flight i jumped at the chance to do JFK-DUB on Aer Lingus. And very nice it was too with a charming 'mature' cabin crew, very nice food and a Guinness (admittedly canned) on board. It was pretty full in business and and I imagine that they did ok on the route due to J class, a lot of the pax seemed to be very regular users. Possibly there was a fair bit of freight too helping out with the revenues but I suppose operating a very small fleet is never going to be easy. Nice trip though and still remember it well