PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific ‘to axe 6,000 staff and Dragon brand’ in bid to stay afloat
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 05:49
MENELAUS

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ACMS
No they are NOT. I carefully ran the comparison last night between the top scale for Cos18 ( Captain 4 ) and the top scale for Oz base ( year 17 CN ) both flying 84 hours a month on the A330/350. The Cos18 came out at $1,700 AUD month MORE than the base. That was calculated using 15.5% PF for base, 10% for Cos18 and it DID NOT consider any expat allowances or 13th month in HK which obviously makes it worse again.

The base is cheaper still.

I suggest you actually run some real World contract numbers and see for yourself.

I then ran the same comparison for an FO, the based FO is around $550 AUD a month cheaper as well.
The problem with that rationale is that Cos18 is a productivity based contract. And impinges on PF and everything else.
None of us will be flying anywhere near 84 ( block or otherwise) hrs for the foreseeable future. Let alone 45 hrs. So at the point of cutover, ie next month, a level 4 cn here in HKG on effectively local terms, will be cheaper than his based counterpart ( transition arrangements for ARAPA and CEA aside, and that was only done to prevent a complete meltdown). And that’s what they’ll look at. Along with LSL, and just being a general thorn in their sides and not worth the candle. Note that I take no pleasure in this. Just pointing out that they’ve achieved NR’s dream and got us all on local terms. So I would definitely expect the worst. And
I wouldn’t place too much hope on 1st world courts. They will have bigger fish to fry once the collateral damage from the pandemic has kicked in.