PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 05:34
megan

Received 394 Likes on 209 Posts
Sheriff Principal Derek Pyle said the reason for the error remained unknown - but that there had been "no wilful neglect" by the pilot.

In his findings he said the cause of the accident had been pilot error, but the reasons for this remained unknown."At the end of the day we know that for whatever reason or reasons the commander failed to maintain the target approach speed," he said.

He said one possible reason was in the developing knowledge of the inability of the human brain to monitor flight instruments continuously.

"There was plainly no wilful neglect," he added.

"Rather, there was, as one witness described it, a perfect storm of circumstances which resulted in all the safety barriers in place not preventing - or remedying - his one failure, to maintain the correct speed."
They weren't negligent according to the inquiry.
Nuff said” demonstrates a completely closed mind and inability to think about the issue from a wider angle.

The word “negligent” is a subjective, opinionated and emotive word which does little to contribute to a considered and intelligent analysis of the causes of this event.
roundwego I assume crab would deem the Sheriff Principal incompetent given his finding.

The official accident report addresses human factors in some detail, so I can't understand why crab, with his extensive experience in the industry, fails in his comprehension. The trouble with human factors is it is often difficult to explain exactly the "why". Flight into the water has been a regular event in offshore operations, for various reasons, we had a Puma flown by two check and training captains go into the water on a night VMC approach to a ship, human factors had a big role to play. Interestingly some have not even been the subject of investigation, the Puma in Nigeria which went into the water for example. A lesson foregone.

I've been involved in my own near miss on an approach to a platform in severe clear VMC, all due to human factors, which I won't elaborate on in deference to those involved, and who still don't know how they contributed, it would take volumes to explain.