PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do GCSE's and A-Levels really matter?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 18:51
Duchess_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real answer is “yes, but no, but yes, but no”.

To be a bit more specific, it’s like everything else. You need to make yourself as “sellable” as possible so all other things being equal those with additional academic qualifications will win out over those that don’t. If you haven’t got them, you’ll need to give yourself every other possible advantage over the next guy/gal at the interview or in the pile of applications.

That said, it’s a long time since I’ve seen any non-aviation related qualifications on a CV - usually it’s just flying qualifications that are listed. Haven’t seen an application form for an airline in a while so can’t say whether there is space for them.

There is likely to be a little while before applications open up again so I’d suggest perhaps using that time to go to night school/day release to stack the odds in your favour.

As was said above, basic mental arithmetic - plus an understanding of cos/sin/tan is operationally sufficient. At one interview I was asked how old I was....xx years I said. “No, in days.” He said. “+/- 20 days will do, work it out- I’ll wait”.