PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Mog" Morgan talks Harriers, Sea Harriers and the Falklands
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 13:05
Mogwi

Received 378 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Hopefully Mog.
To be clear - when I said film - I meant a full dramatic production.
It was the first air sea war - very significant.
CGI is now good enough to portray Sea Harriers, Skyhawks and Etendards mixing it up, other battle scenes and how intimidating the South Atlantic weather was.
The script would virtually write itself.
The invasion.
A lash up convoy sent south.
Black Buck.
Air war heats up - Harriers and Mirages - showing the split second decision making and fear of fast jet combat.
The Belgrano - and then the centrepiece - second act - would be the Sheffield sinking.
We cut to Special Forces planning Mikado - see how it might have played out - sequence ends with chopper crew surrendering to Chilean police.
Meanwhile the spooks are buying up all the Exocets, and in Washington, the Americans and Brits are arguing over SIGINT access to US satellites.
Cut back to hot war - Coventry, Argonaut, Antelope.
Third act, San Carlos, the yomp to Goose Green, a horrible overnight fight with no cover and death of H. Jones, Mount Kent, Bluff Cove and the Fall of Stanley.
Black screen - 907 died over 74 days of fighting etc.
We then roll credits with the faces of real veterans - and maybe last of all - Simon Weston - an inspiration.
Bish bash bosh - done.
Maybe we could even sneak in a scene of a young Harrier pilot spotting a Puma - and knocking it out of the sky with jet wash...
BTW - no unintentional offence to anyone intended.
I genuinely think it would make a cracking and highly educational feature film...
Righto - casting call.
Who would play Sharkey Ward...
Sounds quite exciting when you put it like that! Perhaps CGI could take a few wrinkles off my face and I could play myself. (not with myself before anyone quips!) A few years ago a Puma was carrying out a low-level tactical approach to a certain hilltop airfield in Dorset when I spotted him in my Yak50. One guns pass later, I announced that it was 30 years since I had splashed a Puma - which was greeted by a very confused silence. It was obviously before his time. ☹️

Mog