PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of control involving Cessna 152
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2020, 20:29
LastStandards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
Well, that is commonly said; I do not agree. the elevator is used to set the required attitude in pitch. The trim relieves the pilot of the control loads. The trim is not a flight control.
I agree entirely - which is why my full paragraph referred to the process of Select Hold Trim as being about attitude flying.

While it is important for the student to understand the effects of misset trim and the control loads that may be required to hold the desired attitude, it remains poor practice for an instructor to manipulate trim to an unknown position while a student is flying, and indeed goes against the whole concept of a clean transfer of control. By selecting and retrimming a new attitude and then requiring the student to return to a previous attitude and hold the loads will increase relatively slowly, giving the student adequate time and opportunity to quantify the changes - as well as increasing their own confidence in their ability to direct the aircraft using all 3 primary flight controls in their relevant axes. Or so my FI Course students and test candidates have been teaching for a while anyway, without bending aircraft...