PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 21st Oct 2020, 17:35
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
We are still only talking about 2013 - only 7 years ago in the familiar environment of the N Sea.

Can you really be serious that training, checking and SOPs were still inadequate to prevent this accident only 7 years ago?

If that were really the case there would have been far more incidents and accidents since IMC approaches are normal fare for aviation in those parts.

That hasn't happened - or has been well covered up - so you can only draw the conclusion that, whilst not perfect, the training, checking and SOPs were adequate for the vast majority of pilots on the vast majority of days.

There was nothing special to differentiate this flight from thousands of others - EXCEPT they crashed by the simple action of failing to notice the IAS on an instrument approach - not 10 or 20 kts missed and a correction made, but all the way to below 30 and VRS.

Do explain how that is not negligent.

I'm not trying to crucify them - I don't know them nor the pax that died but I know where my sympathies lie in this sad case.