PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2020, 22:09
Albert Hall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flybe Mk II will have massive advantages.

They will not have just dragged themselves through the worst crisis in aviation history with all the massive losses
They will have massive amounts of pilots and crew keen to get back in the air
They will have airports desperate to see some flights moving and be able to plan their routes with historic but accurate route data
There will be no shortage of aircraft and maintenance facilities to be had at favourable rates
They can choose when to launch, ie when a comeback looks sustainable

I hope to see them in the sky in 18 months or so.
I could pick on several posts here, but...

They have a brand which was so toxic after the hand baggage fiasco that they were having to plan a full re-brand before they went bust.
The market is shot to pieces with several former cash-cows like BHX-EDI suffering badly from passengers driving and not flying.
Of the routes that might still work, many have Loganair, Blue Islands, Eastern or easyJet parked on them.
Flybe ran out of cash in January 2020, long before Coronavirus was an everyday word in our language, then staggered on until March.
They lost an incredible £200m in 2019.

It was a basketcase, remains a basketcase, and will be a bottomless money-pit for the investors behind it. If it gets airborne after due CAA scrutiny, it will be a triumph of vanity over reality.

Can anyone actually think of a bankrupt airline relaunch which has gone well? I'm struggling to come up with one.

I'm beginning to wonder if the quoted Lucien Farrell of Cyrus and the dreamer Jason Unsworth of Atmosphere International are somehow related.