PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 20th Oct 2020, 21:42
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ApolloHeli
In my view, if the PF did not brief the PM properly and state clear parameters to monitor during the approach (especially airspeed), then there is a share of responsibility for the PM to request those parameters so that both are on the same page. As stated, pilots are fallible and forgetting to state at which IAS you plan to fly the approach at may be a simple mistake - easily forgiven, however the PM should pick up on this missing information and request it. (I cannot remember if this was a factor in this accident and I cannot re-read the report and check right now. This is more of a response to what's quoted.)

Regardless, if a pilot is rated on type, then they should definitely know the airspeed limitations of that type and I would argue that minimum IFR speed is high on that list when you're hard IMC, so that either of them let the aircraft fall below V min IFR is not excusable because "pilots make mistakes", particularly when lives were lost as a result.
Agree with most of that, but it didn’t happen. Why not? Was it because the pilots were lazy, stupid, evil, baby-eating people playing candy crush on their phones during the approach? Or something else?