PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 20th Oct 2020, 18:42
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
But its amazing how many people don't understand the term "environment" though, particularly the legal, regulation and political aspects.

IIRC the T91(?) radar was delivered with a trailer that had a turning circle which wasn't UK road legal.

So every time it had to go to a new site or detachment it was booked in for an MOT somewhere halfway, which made it legal to drive there. Each time it duly failed the MOT, and was allowed to drive to its new site.

When the time came to go home or relocate the exercise was repeated...
I think it was the T91 ORAC ... back when we ran radar convoys with multiple sites and the exercise of transporting them across the country was fundamental to the capability. However, I am not sure it was the turning circle which was a problem, but the brakes. Certainly it was normal to see radar X off line for a 'rolling brake test'. I thought they must be the most tested brakes in the world until someone explained the reasoning! Oh and yes Asturias 56, it was much cheaper than fixing the actual problem!