PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military simulators graphics capability.
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2020, 18:01
PPRuNeUser0211

Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Agreed, it wasn’t that I was asking about, but simply the graphical capability considering I read MS are sort of using the game in a way to promote their capabilities to industry etc and I seem to remember military mentioned. I was just wondering if this is so good at projecting the world are military sims better as one assumes they would be.
I suppose the real question is, what use do you have for those graphics? If you're a fast jet driver, the weather details are nice but far from essential. The detail on the ground is overkill for what you need, for the most part, as the majority of work groundwards is going to be through the soda straw of a targeting pod.

If you're a rotary driver at 50', Microsoft doesn't bring anywhere enough detail to the party. Take a look at what DCS has had to do to their Syria mapping to get the low level quality up to scratch for low flying.

The most interesting bit is the ability to use photogrammetry and produce replicas of buildings, and drop that directly in to the sim (see mods that allow you to drop decent Google produced stuff in to Microsoft's limited Bing maps produced world). That would have utility in urban operations, particularly in mission rehearsal.

Detail has to have a purpose - eye candy for the sake of it sells consumer products, but as mentioned above, isn't worth spending money on for a training device unless it gives you a tangible outcome, particularly in these financially squeezed times.