PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to all the retired Lynx ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2020, 15:55
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Not at the home of the ACC a few years ago
Actually, quoting the Aldershot Concrete Corporation aka Army Catering Corps is entirely appropriate when it comes to commenting on the Lynx... which in my biased opinion should've never been made, with the materials diverted to making pots and pans or park railings. The only aircraft which tried - with no undue input from me - to kill me on more than one occasion. Lookout was comparable to sitting in a bungalow and peering out through the letterbox; tail-rotor control was risible; hydraulics overheated after 5 minutes hover ops in OAT 30+... and whoever thought that the Accessory Drive from the Wessex was a good thing to bring over to this monstrosity had a very advanced sense of humour. The Mildcat folk can crinkle all they like - the Lynx was an abomination bought purely to give work to a Somerset factory, and the fact that it served so long and with relatively few casualties is a testament to the professionalism of the RN, AAC and REME personnel who had to keep it flying. As for the WG30 "Lynx with a topbox"... so glad that was seen off before it put even more lives and livelihoods at risk.