PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 20th Oct 2020, 11:05
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
and system of systems integration.......
I recall about 20 years ago the DPA Executive Board approving the establishment of 'MoD Integration Authority'. DG (Finance) told me, proudly, that they'd uncovered this new thing called 'systems integration', and appointed a professor from outwith MoD and given him funding for 63 staff. I asked her if she realised that aircraft don't fly, ships don't sail, her kettle doesn't work, etc. without her new-fangled wheeze, and that her XB mandated a procedural Defence Standard on the subject in every aviation contract (the assumption being that nobody would be allowed to work in DPA without actually knowing what integration was). A few weeks later, and she was off to No. 10 to head up some financial department.

When this was explained to the good professor, he replied that as he was now the 'Authority', henceforth only he would be seen to approve such procedures, and they must bear his signature as author even though written long ago by a few of MoD(PE)'s most junior plebs. (I recall him being thoroughly confused between 'interface' and 'integrate'). I know of one consultancy that was handed a 6-month contract, the only output being to tell the IPT Leader what 'systems integration' was, and the pretty pictures had to be large, and in colour. He was then promoted to Brigadier, and became the Army's lead on integration. And still hadn't read the Def Stan. No, you couldn't make it up.