PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 20th Oct 2020, 07:59
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
One pilot having an off day is completely understandable but that is why you have two crew for these operations - PF and PM - neither of whom did their jobs properly.

Helicomparator - you cant defend them by saying they were concentrating on the approach - every pilot does that or they shouldn't be in the seat.

Of course I have made mistakes - mine just didn't cost the lives of 4 people directly - it is a fatuous argument.

If you can't acknowledge the errors - from the choice of approach profile to the mindset they were going to get in to the complete lack of CRM and monitoring of the aircraft - then perhaps you were part of the problem in the N Sea..

According to your logic, I could have a blade strike on a mountain SAROP, roll down the hill and kill several occupants and then claim I wasn't negligent but I was concentrating on the wrong thing!!!

A straightforward instrument approach turned into a horrendous - yet completely preventable - accident costing lives with 2 pilots holding professional commercial licences at the controls. How is that not negligent?