PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2020, 05:43
globex6000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheels_down
So do they sign a contract? Or can they just walk away at any time without paying another cent?

To those who have just signed the dotted line or are about to? Perhaps get some legal advice. I cannnot reiterate the importance, there is no jobs with Qantas at the other end. Zero. You also have bush or tropics GA pilots ahead of you for jobs for the next five years.

FTA and Oxford are essentially non viable businesses at the moment.
The FAQ section on the Qantas recruitment page (not FTA's) provides a bit more of a reality check, making it abundantly clear you sign a contract with FTA, not Qantas. That after completion you go into a talent pool, and points out that 500 hours multi is a typical requirement for a regional airline. That the cadetship is NOT a 'Qantas Group Cadetship' and that it is not a part of their Future Pilot program that they have with some Uni programs (which has been ended due to Covid anyway)

Some of my favorites:

4. If I successfully graduate from the Academy will I be guaranteed a job at Qantas?

No. However, after graduation, students will automatically join the Qantas Group’s talent pool, have access to our General Aviation partners and be part of the Academy Alumni Program, all of which combined, will help to fast track your place in the recruitment process.

Different airlines have different entry requirements and it’s best to contact prospective employers to seek advice on this matter. It is common for regional airlines to require a minimum of 500 multi-engine command hours for employment. Major airlines usually require 500 multi-engine command hours, 1500 hours total flying time and an ATPL for direct entry.

5. Is the Academy the same thing as the Qantas Group Future Pilot Program?

No. The Qantas Future Pilot Program provides Aviation students the opportunity to be mentored by experienced Qantas Group pilots during their university degree and if successful through the selection process, will transition to a job in the Qantas Group after graduation. Students from the Academy may be selected as participants in the Qantas Group Future Pilot Program based on various eligibility criteria including course performance.

7. Are the courses run at the Academy a Qantas Group cadet program?

No, there are no funded cadetships available with Qantas Group airlines. However, after graduation, students will automatically join the Qantas Group’s talent pool, have access to our General Aviation partners and be part of the Academy Alumni Program, all of which will help to fast track your place in the recruitment process.