PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5 x Dassault Falcon 20 - Prestwick
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2020, 20:15
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1
Thanks everyone, that is interesting. I had no idea that these aircraft existed. According to Dave Reid's link they use the Hawks to simulate sea skimming missiles :-) ......
Certainly do!

In the early '90's I was "stitched up" to organise the Potential Officer Candidates who were visiting the FAA. The "win" was that, whatever I organised for them to do I got to do too (me being mere Engineer-filth (but who could fly gliders)!). Even if I say so myself, they had a brill couple of weeks - as did I . One of the highlights was a trip with FRADU, then based at Yeovilton. Flight Refuelling Ltd (Cobham) had the contract by then.

On my trip we were flying on a "Thursday War" off Portland in Hunter T8C WT772/875 against various ships. On the way out I'd mentioned I had flown gliders + had 10 hrs PPL training and so I was given control to have a play over Dorset while we awaited our Serial to begin. Nothing was said but it was great!

Eventually, into "war" we went and "low level" (this is below bridge height of a Type 42) was the order of the day. Unbelievably, as we rolled in for the 3rd or 4th run the immortal words "You know the score ... your turn! Ready? You have!!" and that was it.

Fortunately, Portland Radar had our Mode 3 readout as, half way in on my run we had "C/S XXX, check height!". Cool as a bl@@dy cucumber from the Pilot all I got was "Ease it up a bit H 'n' H, I don't want to swim if that's OK!" and I completed the run in.

To this day, I wish I had that Pilots name (he must be long retired now) - to thank him for his absolute trust in me that day. Clearly, my "playing" over Dorset had told him enough - and I went on to Instruct and fly commercially in several roles. But I still have the photos of that day which was, to be honest, the absolute BEST. Plus the memories of that whole flight are etched in my mind and soul still today.

Arrival back at VL for a few "touch and goes" by the Pilot the first "arrival" which was quite "firm" (but seemingly normal) to which I involuntarily said "Owch!". Pilot turned to me with a big smile under the mask "What's up H 'n' H, that was a b@@dy good touchdown!!!!! You should see a bad one!!"

To that Pilot, thank you Sir for an absolutely unbelievable hour or so in my life!!!!! Probably The best ever!

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 19th Oct 2020 at 20:28.