PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 11:28
DeanoP

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ferry Flight:Khormaksar -Little Staughton, Bedfordshire

In July 1962 we ferried Valetta VW 200 ( Captained by F/L Keith Webster) from Khormaksar to Wadi Halfa and then on to, El Adem, Luqa, Orange, Lyneham ( Cliffe Pypard 4 star transit accommodation) and then Little Staughton Maintenance Unit. Two days off in the UK and then, B.Cal (I think) Britannia back to Khormaksar. Routing from Khormaksar to Perim Island and then direct Wadi Halfa. Wadi Halfa airfield was to become submerged by the waters from Nasser's dam in later years. Lovely hotel on the banks of the Nile and I remember sitting out in the 'cool' of the evening, having a few drinks marvelling at the multiplicity of extremely bright stars overhead.
From Wadi Halfa, West to, what we called, the Queen of Sheba's tits, or more correctly called Jebel Unewat at the corner of Egypt, Libya and Sudans' borders. The Queen of Sheba was well placed to give a concrete fix of our position as my dodgy navigation consistently of Air Plot, Drift sight and Sun position lines.

Putting the aircraft to bed for overnight stay.

Airport, now submerged by waters from Nasser's Dam

Terrain en-route Wadi halfa to El Adem

Hotel at Wadi Halfa.

Last edited by DeanoP; 18th Oct 2020 at 22:43. Reason: A/C ident letter VW vice XV