PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rooting a Hudl 1
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2020, 07:30
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Rooting a Hudl 1

We have a Tesco Hudl 1 tablet thingy which was bought as a present for someone who never used it. Eventually it was given back to us and we never tried to use it until yesterday. As expected the battery was flat but it charged up when plugged in and is powering the device OK. The thing doesn't work well, seeming to have an issue connecting to the wifi. A quick hunt of the internet shows that the issue is not with the unit specifically but with a change of server at Tesco. After a reset, which happened when the battery went flat, the device needs to get a response from Tesco before it can complete it's reset - recovery. Tesco have stopped supporting the devices.

After initially promising a fix Tesco have now stopped all support and nobody has put an effective workaround on the WWW where Google can find it. There is a fudge by which some connectivity can be made and which I followed. The unit can now browse the web and get some apps from the Google store but they don't all have web access if installed.

I managed to get the Fitbit app but it is one of the apps that need web access and it doesn't get it. We thought the Hudl would give us a let out on a Win 10 PC that has broken Bluetooth........... See another thread on this site.

Does anyone here know if the Hudl could be rooted and then have its OS replaced by a non Tesco tailored load? Is there non Tesco load for the Hudl? I don't know much about rooting but I have nothing to lose here except a bit of time.

Help!

Rans6...............................