PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Garmin GPSs
Thread: New Garmin GPSs
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 20:47
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Garmin GPS ssss

Have used a GPS III these last 12 months and it is a fine piece of kit. However I flew a few weeks ago with a guy sporting a 196 and that is just so much better screen wise ... both size and resolution.

I feel that it's so good that the temptation might be there to abandon the map and the Mk 1 eyeball as the primary navigation device.

At least with the Pilot III, the screen is so small that it doesn't have the temptation to look at it any more oftern than a bit of confirmation of track or position warrants.

The Pilot III does usefully stay on the coaming with a bit of velcro, the 196 is a fair bit bigger so I suspect the full yolk mount is an essential. That means that it be that much harder to put in the car, which is how I learned to use the GPS III before I let it be a distraction in the Warrior.

As a footnote .. that 4 way rocker/cursor on the pilot 3 is a real pain that I've never mastered .. it doesn't know it's left and right from up and down and is a major distraction if you try and put in a new waypoint in flight (it's bad enough in my front room). I trust the 196 is better.