PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2020, 17:10
ATNotts

Received 307 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by LGS6753
If flights to/from the EU are grounded from January, it will be as a result of EU intransigence in not allowing these issues to be dealt with in separate agreements. The colonialists will only sign a single overarching "trade" agreement with their former colony, and are quite happy to damage it in whatever way they can. (compare the speed and efficiency of Britain's decolonisation in the early and mid-sixties).
Without drifting into the realms of Brexit, can I just point out that it's the UK that left the club, and there is in the weaker position as regards dictating future arrangements with it's former partner organisation. All that said, I don't believe even the current government is likely to be dogmatic enough to cut the UK off from air connections to the mainland, at a time when surface connections may also be disrupted.

Anyway, back to Covid-19, and again, while the UK is in transition out of the EU the 27 are being pretty reasonable with regard to quarantining arrivals from here, despite horrendous case inflation in recent weeks. We are still being treated favourably as we are still one foot in, one foot out. From January I would expect, as a true third country, to find our unrestricted movement to European countries somewhat curtailed, which piles yet more pressure on the air travel industry, and the travel sector more widely.