PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizz Air A321 CG was off the chart
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2020, 05:25
dc9-32

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
When I was a despatcher during the 1980's, and as well as checking the holds after loading, I made it my job to check the cabin for pax distribution and cross-check, then head into the cockpit for the load sheet sign off. I wasn't required to check the cabin, I just did it because I was taught by someone who took me right back to basic math and the effects of weight versus balance. I carried over that mentality to everyone I trained.

Empty aircraft prevent challenges sometimes simply by design. If they had a T tail, they were worse than the engine/wing configuration we see these days. BAC1-11's were notorious for needing at least 400kg ballast in the forward hold in order to get the ZFW just within limits. Once fuel is added to the centre tank, the C of G comes forward, but not by much. The centre fuel was often "trapped" and not used in trip fuel calculations.

Pax day trip flights on 1-11's were also a challenge simply because the pax had no luggage.

Everything in those days was done with a pen, ruler, calculator and a piece of paper they call a load & trim sheet. The only computer aid we had was the calculator (and our brain).