PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disgusting landing fees
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2020, 17:55
toptobottom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a hotel provides certain additional facilities, obviously each of those required investment. The quality and number of the facilities is a decision for the hotel, the policies that it observes, the star rating it aspires to have and maybe the clientele it wants to attract. Facilities might include a swimming pool, a tennis court, a gym, etc. Generally, these are designed to make the hotel more attractive and the cost of investment is recouped through increased rack rates; the more and better the facilities, the higher the price. Most hotels I've landed at provide very little in the form of landing services; occasionally, a member of staff (typically, completely untrained) will be present in a hi-viz to make sure residents aren't in the way of an arrival/departure, otherwise, it's just a designated area and you're on your own. Charging a fee to arrive, just because a guest happens to arrive by helicopter, is greedy and unfair. The Rolls driver isn't charged to cover the cost of building the hotel's car park, so why should the heli pilot be charged, even if the facility needs extra resources? I've persuaded several hotels (and even the Handpicked group) to waive landing fees and as a result, I use these (read: 'spend much more money') far more frequently than those that haven't.