PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Europe at NCL
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2020, 17:18
GBYAJ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordomac
12 years from start to end with AE , I often refer to "us" and "we". But, did we t r y to "force" DA out of business ? BA tried to "force" us out of business for ages. Thought DA were our mates. Many ex Dan started at the top in AE and after "we" crashed and burned, many got jobs with DA. But mucky old businessbelow decks eh ?

BJAY : fab post. "We" certainly were operating through NCL but never Based there. Shame, I would have put in for my regular summer posting request away from Gatters. Loved Jedburg and the Aeroclub . Aaaaaagh, gettin all misty eyed again .
i suppose such a sweeping statement could cause offence, so apologies!

I think though ILG did try to muddy Dan air in the press. Having used them for years and benefited from the cheaper rates on old aircraft they did announce that they wouldn’t using Dan air anymore because of their old inefficient aircraft. Dan air responded by saying we’ve offered ILG our most modern aircraft (presumably the 737-400’s) but they still won’t use us!

I think they may have tried to merge at the same time?

When push came to shove they were both in trouble in the early 90’s it just happened that Dan air had more assets (rather than leased aircraft) when the bank pulled the plug.

david James the company doctor brought in to save Dan air then started operating air Europe routes with New expensive leased aircraft just like AE had, mmmmmm (with hindsight!) no surprise really that didn’t work out!!