PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2020, 16:40
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenpimentel
I was hoping there is something on the 777 that could be easily used as a simple personal "shield". For example, if there was a removable seat cushion that had some padding/thickness that could absorb a hit with a club. The shield doesn't have to be that effective, just better than nothing. My research suggests that the seat cushions are not useable for this purpose (they don't just pop off). For my story, I'm looking for something quick to use, not something that takes a while to manufacture/assemble, but I probably could use both options in my story - a "quick" better than nothing shield, and a "if you took the time to do this" shield.

thanks!
For both shields and stretchers don't forget the overhead luggage bin doors. I believe they are relatively light weight yet able to absorb/deflect blows. Minor effort to remove them given the right tools. I am not an AME so no direct experience other than occasionaly whacking my head on partially opened ones,

Lavatory and cockpit doors might also be stretcher material.

The seat bottom pans and backs might be useful for shields, they certainly seem hard enough on a cross country trip in economy given the 'unuseable' cushions you mentioned.

Some other items you may already have in mind:

Consider using the innermost window element to create face shields, some heat will probably allow it to be formed.
Make sure they save all the seat belts, need something to attach shields and obviously other uses as well.

The seat tracks might be removable to yield relatively long chunks of metal. Good 'erector set' element for building things. Possibly similar but larger elements in cargo hold.

Lots of copper, both in wiring and motor/generator windings.

The magnetron in the microwaves have a couple of powerful donut shaped magnets useful for quick release attachments. The empty microwave makes a good small everything proof storage locker.

The floor panels may be removable, source of strong flat surfaces, no idea what size they are. Easier than cutting fuselage for raw metal.

One time O2 source for "enhanced combustion" will be the passenger O2 generators, about 15 minutes as I recall, no idea on raw flow rate.

Not sure vintage of weather radar, if older it may have a parabolic reflector and motorized gimbals for scanning, cover it with tinfoil to create solar oven.