PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further chaos caused by Win10 upgrade
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2020, 05:56
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not disagreeing with the re-install option suggested above however these may be useful.

Firstly make sure the machine has been FULLY restarted.

1. Disable Fast Startup
2. Shutdown
3. Turn PC back on

By default with Win 10 a Shutdown does not do a full software reload. A Restart does do a full reload BUT does not power off the hardware. NIGHTMARE.

I never use fast startup. I enable Hibernate on the Power Menu and I hibernate the machine when I am finished with it. I occasionally do a full Shutdown, perhaps every week ish, or as required.

For the naive user Sleep is a nightmare too. The machine can get uncontrolled shutdowns when the battery runs out or power is removed which can then cause issues. I avoid that too. I set the power button to Hibernate and usually lid closing to No Action.

Also:
Check that there are no errors showing in Control Panel/Device Manager
Errors show as red or yellow triangles by the devices. I can't recall if the error flags propagate up to the top level so I open the folders and check there. Come back for advice if errors or google.

I would also consider checking the integrity of Windows with:
(Note it is possible - but very unlikely - that these actions could corrupt the system so you should be prepared for recovery. i.e. don't blame me:-)

chkdsk /f

sfc /scannow

If sfc reports unfixable errors then

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
If dism was used then a final
sfc /scannow
is I think necessary.

All from an Administrator command prompt.

Good luck.

Edit: sfc and especially DISM can take a LONG time. Do not interrupt them, make sure machine is plugged in. Exact time depends on many variables and I cannot really say for your machine. I have observed - sfc, half an hour maybe on a slowish machine but it had SSD, and dism say three times longer. YMMV.