PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA @ Edinburgh shambles this evening.
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2020, 21:29
fergusd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4468
This got me thinking.

According to skyscanner, booking ahead and flying from LHR to EDI with BA will cost £64 return.

If Luton is convenient for you, you can fly from there to EDI with Easy for £59 return. I didn’t look at LGW.

Catching a train from Kings Cross will cost £61 return on the same date.

Ryanair would probably offer a similar service for £9.99 each way.

Too few customers will pay for a robust level of service, and no airline executives will sacrifice their (cost cutting = profit making) bonus to provide it. Of course they will charge whatever they can, but the customer has decided that price is everything!

This is rather sad to say, but the halcyon days of aviation have gone for a very considerable time to come, if not forever.

On many routes everyone is competing with Ryanair levels of cost and service. Because that is what customers in their droves have shown they want.
Personally I have no interest in how much a train costs . . . my time is far more valuable . . . if you want to see a service far worse than the worst ****show that aviation can stoop to, take the train . . .

And relevantly . . . how the *uck to I get to Helsinki on a train genius ? . . .

Fd