PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further chaos caused by Win10 upgrade
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2020, 17:39
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Further chaos caused by Win10 upgrade

I had a thread on this over a month ago and I am still suffering from the issues caused, among other things. I sorted out the issue with FF not being very good after the update. At the same time the Fitbit app stopped downloading the data from FILs Charge 3. We thought that the Fitbit was to blame as it had already been noticed that it was keeping a pseudo random time and the pulse rate measurement was reading way over. I had on device on each wrist and mine, which I trust, was reading around 55 to 60 BPM and his was reading 120 - 140. The clock was gaining a minute or two per hour when the device was not being worn and more than 10 minutes per hour when I wore it for a day. Actually, the Fitbit was only partially to blame for the App not working, the PC Bluetooth was not working at all. It didn't show any paired or unpaired devices when I checked it was powered on. A quick look at a Win8 machine with the same hardware build showed 3 Fitbits and an audio dongle within range although it would not pair with any of the Fitbits. Fitbit App doesn't work with Win 8.

Also, FIL uses the MS Money App which failed to launch when requested. It took the focus and opened a panel in the centre of the screen saying it was updating..... please wait...... apparently for ever. The panel offered the option to "Save to Clipboard" or to "Close". Until it had closed there was nothing else working, clicking anywhere on the screen made a "Doh" noise. I fixed this by copying to clipboard and then uninstalling/installing a fresh copy and it managed to preserve the data and settings, whew. Malware bytes went into overload but eventually settled down with just two items quarantined. The last thing I have not been able to sort out is the notification thingy in the bottom right hand task bar. This shows a steadfast 1 but won't let you see what the issue is.

I have checked the drivers for the Bluetooth and all claim to be up to date. It is possible that the hardware has failed but I doubt it as all of the other issues seem to be prompted by the Win10 upgrade in August. What should I do now? The replacement Fitbit is no use without a working App and Bluetooth connection. Incidentally, the Fitbit App reports "Searching for hardware" and then "connected" and then "Synching" which is a nonsense given the fact that the PC Bluetooth doesn't register any devices in view or paired. Needless to say it stays Synching for ever...........

FIL is adamant that he doesn't want or need a smart phone so we need the PC to be fixed.

Thanks for getting to the end of this missive, any help will be gratefully received.

Rans6......................