PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ pilots under political pressure (merged)
Old 4th Dec 2003, 16:17
Lithgow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim M - I don't have access to the hiring and firing numbers so I can't comment on Kader's claims.

For some variety, here's a Business Times article on Kader:

http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/s...01607,00.html?

Business Times - 04 Dec 2003

Candidate's memo revs up race for top job in SIA pilots' union

Reinstatement of salary seen among key objectives of Capt Syed's platform

By VEN SREENIVASAN

(SINGAPORE) The buzz is already palpable in the race for the top job in the Singapore Airlines pilots' union.

With the closing date for the election just weeks away, one of the candidates for the presidency of the Airline Pilots Association of Singapore (Alpa-S) - Capt Syed Abdul Kader Alhadad - appears now to be very much the focus of attention.

While he declined to elaborate on a memo he sent to Alpa-S members yesterday, the document - a copy of which was obtained by BT - suggests several elements in his platform.

These are: better communication between the union and SIA management, the upholding of the terms of the wage cuts, and the preservation of the independence of Alpa-S.

Among his key demands to SIA management would be reinstatement of salary that pilots lost through compulsory unpaid leave during the Sars-induced slowdown. He believes there were 'errors' in the manner in which the unpaid leave scheme was implemented and wants management to rectify these.

In the memo that Capt Syed sent to Alpa-S members yesterday, he said: 'The problems that were raised by members could have been handled in a previous council through a proper forum. If we are not happy with the CA (collective agreement) team we could have held the EGM to form a new CA team, and not throw out a fairly good operating council. We must learn to act and work within the system and not at our personal fancies. I definitely do not agree with the way the petition and the EGM was pushed through, but that is water under the bridge.'

Capt Syed is standing against long-time colleague and friend Capt Mok Hin Choon for the top union job. Both men have been with SIA for almost three decades and are Singaporeans.

Capt Mok, who has been with SIA 27 years, indicated his intention to run for the presidency last month. He is no stranger to Alpa-S, having served as president from 1999 to 2000.

He could not be contacted as he was in Melbourne yesterday.

Capt Syed said he had been invited to be part of Capt Mok's team but declined. 'I know Capt Mok very well and he is a gentleman,' he said yesterday. 'But I am standing on a different platform.'

That platform has apparently also become the subject of innuendo, and rumours have started circulating among pilots against Capt Syed.

He is being painted as someone closely allied with the National Trades Union Congress, to which Alpa-S is not affiliated. The NTUC has been critical of the decision by Alpa-S members to sack their entire executive council two weeks ago.

Some pilots think the smear campaign may relate to Capt Syed's opposition to the ousting of the Alpa-S exco last month.

Contacted yesterday, Capt Syed expressed dismay at the turn of events.

'I am very disappointed that this has happened because I came forward with conviction and belief that I could make a difference,' he said. 'But I suppose this is part and parcel of standing for elections.'

In his memo, Capt Syed also referred to his significant experience in collective agreement negotiations during his time in the Flight Engineers Branch of the Singapore Airlines Staff Union, including a stint as chairman for three years in the late 1980s.

Nominations for the 19-member branch committee of Alpa-S close this week, to be followed by voting for all posts from Dec 8-22.