PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA @ Edinburgh shambles this evening.
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2020, 15:47
Tom777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP, apologies you had to wait to disembark. To add a little to explain the current situation. Currently planned block times and schedules are based on this season last year when life was somewhat different. The 30 minute taxi out from LHR is now probably nearer 5/10 due to the complete lack of traffic, all the short-haul aircraft are planned at flying cost index 0 (basically most efficient speed, which is slower than normal) but that will still end up with most short haul aircraft arriving early at the moment. Short of delaying departure on stand, there's not much more we can do. Flying back at min clean speed would quickly earn a shoeing from ATC! We could delay departure but then any unexpected incident - fox on runway, tug brake down, runway inspection etc etc (you know how it is!) would eat to us then being late which would probably irk passengers even more if we'd deliberately delayed the departure. So unfortunately we'll probably be early more often than not at the moment. Outsourcing is rubbish as it means that you are at the mercy of contractors but that's the way of the industry at the moment. To compete on price you have to go down that road and as much as I'd love it if we still had our own staff in all out stations (bloody good people who were cast adrift because the industry changed) but if we did then we'd probably have gone under already. The contractors are all suffering as well - most of their business has gone and they are operating skeleton staff with the rest redundant or on furlough and so the service levels may at times not be what we'd hope for or that you'd expect. But I do know that those I deal with on a daily basis are trying their utmost under difficult and changing circumstances - why wouldn't they? Their jobs are as much under threat as ours. Basically what I'm trying to say is - I'm sorry that the level of service didn't meet your expectations but don't think the staff you interact with don't care, we really do. I can't speak for the cabin crew member who snapped as I wasn't there but all our staff have had the redundancy threat over them for the last six months plus all the stress we have all had due to COVID etc, sometimes people snap under stress. I understand that the PA's can be annoying, especially now we have all the COVID ones as well but we get as many complaints about lack of information (even if it's a simple nothing has changed) as we do about too much, it's a tricky balance. I'm sure that when the Captain announced an early arrival he was trying to put a positive slant on what was probably a difficult journey for many of our passengers in these unusual times. Would have taken some special skills to predict no steps for 55 minutes (although in this job you do come to expect the unexpected). Yup, sometimes we are rubbish but I think it's rare that we're rubbish on purpose, we're genuinely trying to do the best we can in difficult circumstances and are very grateful to all those who do choose to fly with us at the moment.