PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USMC Mid-Air - F-35/KC-130
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2020, 13:08
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
As previously stated, I'm 110% behind standardized RT and procedures; they reduce confusion and promote safety which is essential when dealing with critical situations. However, picking up on some of the comments on here, yes, there is scope for initiative and creative action especially from ATCOs who need to be aware of the prevailing circumstances. My example went something like this:

2 x F111s climbing out of low-level near a North Yorkshire MEDA airfield:

"Ratch 21, check"

"2. It appears to have gone out! Still a lot of smoke though and bits falling off" ( 😯 )

"(EG**) Ratch 21 flight climbing out of low-level requesting FL (whatever) direct track to Lakenheath for a diverse recovery, GCA to land."

"Ratch 21 Flt, squawk (xyz) - do you have a problem?"

"Ratch 21 has lost an engine and has a double utility failure."

"Ratch 21 Flt, identified, radar advisory. EG** is 225, 21 miles, runway 34/16, 7500 ft with cables and barriers and used to handling your type."

"Ratch 21, Ratch 22 - seems like a good move. You're still smoking!"

"EG**, Ratch 21 flt, can you accept us?"

"Affirm - we are an Emergency Diversion Aerodrome, squawk 7700, turn right (etc etc)' (On the landline to D&D, who promptly delegated Op control to me)

He made an approach-end cable arresstment. The aircraft was a MESS! Most of the TF-30 had departed company from the rest of the airframe with substantial fire damage too. I seriously doubt he would have made it back to LKH. At no time was Mayday or Emergency mentioned but we were all - by then - all on the same page.