PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 737 in near miss
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 15:58
Hempy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS RA's around this part of Aus are, as far as I know, extremely rare.
TCAS RA's anywhere in Aus were extremely rare, because the aircraft carrying TCAS equipment were almost always in Class C airspace and being provided with a full separation service. The only time there were RA's were;
a. ATC error
b. aircraft malfunction/emergency (e.g decompression/descent)
c. TCAS malfunction
d. In the TMA, sometimes an a/c or helo on high rate of climb to a vertically separated level beneath a jet on approach would set off the TCAS based on CPA (although this was mostly a TA and the jet was given traffic and new the a/c below was climbing to a safe level)
Mr Knispel did not see the Boeing 737 passing him. "I understood he was 500 feet higher than us. We had turned off the track we were following, so in addition to the altitude separation, the air traffic controller was watching us."
This guy was VFR in class E at FL175 AND WAS NOT SQUAWKING MODE C (so much for the briefing material). He had called ATC to request a clearance to EN just before the RA, and had he not called at that time and been told to squawk Mode C, the VOZ wouldn't have got an RA, and the ATC would have given no "separation" advice. Makes you wonder how many other poorly educated (either through appathy or *shudder* poor training) private pilots are out there. Oh, and while there was 500" between them, the VOZ had been cleared to A090.
it was all very relaxed. I formed the opinion from the way it was discussed that it was nothing out of the ordinary.
Concur with Dehavillanddriver, this was sheer professionalism. Whilst the ATC didn't deposit anything in his undies, he was shaken and unplugged as soon as he organised a relief.
ust heard Mr Anderson on 7 news saying that he comes within 1/2 sec of a semi-trailer every time he is on the road.
The only semi's I know that do 300 knots travel on the Hume between 3 and 6 am