PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 737 in near miss
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 15:34
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heard on ABC Radio National in Darwin on the way home today (Thurs) that "an ATC controller has been stood down over the Virgin incident. I can't say that I am at all surprised as I and others predicted that the NAS would be devoid of blame and pilots or ATCOs would be the scape goats.

On a related note, a colleague descending out of A, through E, and on into D the otherday, did manage to contact a VFR who happened to be on the correct appropriate frequency, except the dill was maintaining F105!!!!!

VFR Drivers

Reading many of the posts on NAS in the various threads, it seems to me that VFR pilots may well form the opinon that they are not welcome in our airspace.

I can only speak for myself but believe many IFR pilots would share my view, that in reality VFR pilots are more than welcome. The airspace is there for all of us to use.

All I'd like is to know where you are so that I can make my own decision as to whether there may be a conflict and thus take appropriate action.

Similarly, if you decide there's a conflict and want something done, it's incumbent upon me to accept your wishes and come to an agreeable separation arrangement.

As things are now with NAS, I must rely on you to determine that there is a conflict and you to speak up. Effectively I've been taken out of the loop to a signifficant degree.

To steal from Alice Welcome to our airspace!

As I type Mrs Claret is in-transit in BNE enroute to Canberra. As an extremely nervous, ney frightened passenger, she has just phoned asking why the Virgin pilots had been stood down? She thinks that she heard the story on a terminal telly but is not sure. Can anyone confirm or deny this possibility?

She also expressed disgust at Anderson's analogy of a 20 second semi-trailer. Her fear levels rise!