PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Reform? What planet are these fools on?!
Old 4th Dec 2003, 15:13
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US National Airspace Redesign

I have a colour brochure from the FAA re their program to redesign their NAS. The brochure says (capitals are my emphasis):
The basic structure of the airspace has not changed appreciably for many years. During the time that airspace has remained essentially static, aircraft and technology have advanced several generations. These advances create the need and the opportunity to RESTRUCTURE the airspace to meet the EVOLVING NEEDS OF A DIVERSE POPULATION OF CUSTOMERS
and
We are focused and committed to MODERNIZING the nation's airspace. The FAA now has, within a single organisation, all the elements necessary to manage the national airspace effectively and efficiently. Through a major modernisation and beyond, we are COMMITTED TO WORKING WITH ALL ELEMENTS OF OUR DIVERSE CUSTOMER COMMUNITY to create the airspace of our future.
But wait, there's more from http://www1.faa.gov/ats/ata/index.html:
The FAA’s Office of Air Traffic Airspace Management (ATA) IS WORKING WITH NAS users and service providers, using available airspace, facilities and equipment, and calculating future use of these resources to improve efficiency and reduce delays.
and
Each of the ATA divisional functions, working together as an integrated team, ALONG WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS, AGENCIES AND USERS, will ensure the logical and efficient use of the national airspace.
These quote raise 2 questions in my mind:

1. Uncle Dick told us that the US of A had the world's BEST and most MODERN airspace system. Clearly, that's not the case as many of the FAA's proposed airspace restructuring initiatives have been a feature of Australian airspace design for over 10 years; and

2. If the FAA considers it necessary to consult with agencies and users, why hasn't the Australian ARG/NASIG done the same (Don't bother replying, as I already know the answer)? If we are to have a complete replica of the US airspace model, then that also entails the establishment of the appropriate procedural and consultation framework, the provision of enhanced radar and communications coverage and THE RETURN OF Flight Service!

What have you got to say Minister Anderson and Dick?