PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Job with an OML
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2020, 09:23
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rob,
I see that you also started the thread on tallness as well as this one. Lets say you end up being issued a C1 medical with or without an OML. Lets say you do your training over the next few years and with luck get a job flying with an airline. I'm making an assumption that you are reasonably young, say 25-30.
Having overcome all the obstacles in your way, you are now looking forward to a 25-35 year career where every year, and later twice a year, your livelihood is on the line when you come to renew your medical. Now, at the start of your career, if you lost the medical it would be a disaster, but one that you have time to recover from. The longer you go on, and perhaps take on a mortgage and a family, the more entrenched you become in aviation as the alternatives just do not pay the bills. I refer you to the 'Life after Aviation Thread' on Terms and Endearment where redundant pilots are making some hard life decisions. Your existing medical condition may have an impact on your ability to hold Loss of License Insurance, which most of us have as a life raft. It will certainly have an impact if you want to work outside of Europe.
What I'm getting at, is that to attempt this career with the an enhanced possibility of losing the medical and therefore your livelihood is potentially very stressful. I am speaking from 35 years personal experience, and it has led to quite a lot of heartache and stress. Also some counter productive career decisions. Although. when I was 25. all I could think about was getting the bits of paper that would enable me to fly. When I retired last year, one of the biggest reliefs was not to have to face the medical again.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't follow your dream, as nothing, least of all a medical issue, would have stopped me. But just be aware that the decision to do so will have some unintended consequences further down the line.
Best of Luck