PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet-5
Thread: EasyJet-5
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2020, 09:22
DomyDom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGS6753
You misunderstand the economic system in which we live. No company or industry can cope with contraction. They are all geared to growth. Once the Spanish Government (to give an example) realize that their tax take from ex-pat Brits or from British tourists is declining, they will change their attitude. Likewise. once the German car manufacturers see reduced exports to UK, they will put pressure on their government.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the EU speaks for all its member states, and electorates. It is a classic self-selecting elite which has insulated itself from the inconveniences of democracy.
German car manufacturers and other businesses based in the EU have had 4 years to put pressure their governments. The reason they haven't and won't is that they know it's in their interest to protect the EU single market whatever the UK wants to do, and they will keep selling cars. Going back to tourism of course the EU countries value UK tourism and Brits will continue to travel and spend money there regardless of Brexit.

I suspect the UK will shortly do a deal with the EU anyway with the UK signing up to EU rules on a host of things inc. trade, security, social security (I.e. health care), etc. Don't forget BoJo is PM and has his majority now so he has no need for hard Brexiters after transition. In my view all the 'breaking international law' stuff is just a smokescreen to placate Brexiters and won't happen. In the context of the Covid crisis I also suspect it doesn't have the political priority for the UK govt it once had.