PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adios, Queen of the Sky!
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2020, 17:33
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH1
The take-offs from Heathrow were a normal sight. But the landings in Kemble and St Athan would have been something special. I would have thought the BBC would have filmed these.
I gather it was. I've been at Kemble for a B757 arrival a few years ago with one of the guys from ATC who was off duty at the time. However, we were dispatched to seal off the cross runway "just in case". I have been a bit closer to an aircraft landing ...... but not much - that was when I was serving on the flight-deck of the CVS's!!!

Sadly, watched it land on FR24 as couldn't get to Kemble this time but my ATC friend was on site to witness the arrival and report back.

Did quite a few trips on the 74 both East and West as pax including up front for most of one very memorable LHR - HK flight. Made my excuses early on to leave when I felt it was time to go (didn't want to outstay my welcome) - only to discover I was being subjected to a lock-in by the Crew! And was then forced to select off the 1st Class menu!!! Didn't protest tho!!! Still most grateful to that particular crew, including the cabin crew, for their amazing hospitality and kindness - a very memorable flight and some amazing sights both during the night and as dawn arrived! Sadly, terrorism has a lot to answer for. Other 74 memories? Years on and I just failed the Sim ride for a job on the 74 (was actually asked to redo it as they felt I was that close) but never did get to fly one for real.

Sad to see them go .... but then I'm in the situation where I'm now well past the 50% point of my life so less ahead than behind so I'd say that! They certainly were a game-changer tho!!! Cheers, H 'n' H