PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten-Norman Pilotless Planes
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2020, 16:50
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dont Hang Up
...... You also need to provide the autopilot with actuators for pretty much every lever, button, switch and circuit breaker in the aircraft. And when you accept that then you begin to wonder if retrofit of an existing aircraft design is really an option........
Apart from various Trials a/c based on existing hardware (modified), like you, I'd suspect there would be a whole new design philosophy associated with autonomous flight - your autopilot would be an "aviation platform management and control system" - a whole generation forward on from today's best "autopilots/FMCs" so I'd not expect to see retrofitting of existing airframes to be a way forward either. Switches, buttons and levers will be a thing of the past as there would be no-one there to push/pull/prod them. In a way we are talking of a "Wright Brothers" type leap forward in terms of technology, legislation and social acceptance etc, etc. Proof of concept work by BAE, B-N and others is just one part of that evolution/revolution.

....... As for the engine fire scenario, just as an example: Shut down and land soonest procedures may be easily automated - but deciding the fire is not contained, structural integrity is at risk and we have to ditch now - that's a much bigger judgement ask for an automatic system. ......
The scenario you have used may continue to use human intervention on the ground to make that decision and to command the a/c to do something like ditch rather than divert. You'd have almost as much data as you do today from your downlink to make that call - you'd just not be able to use the P2 to nip aft to take a look first! OK, slightly flippant that but you see what I mean. But you'd have video links and such like (even cabin crew?) to assist you. Even your smoke detectors would probably undertake chemical analysis of the smoke and suggest what is smouldering/burning. So, what you'd probably have are "supervisors" on the ground; one person monitoring several flights at any one time but on hand to address situations like you cite.

....... So basically I do not think we are there yet. ......
Quite agree ........ but that's not saying we won't end up there one day as quite a few seem to say. Lets face it, you just have to look up some of the fears that were held when trains first arrived. Those who say "never" may well be correct in the short/medium term. But "never ever"? Mmmmm, a bit Victorianesque!

Would I like it? My main personal reservation is not having someone in control who would arrive at the scene of the accident a few milliseconds before I did as I feel that does help concentrate the minds of those i/c. That said, humans often put themselves into trouble with great panache so that sort of evens the equation up a bit! We've all had those situations when, after a "moment" has happened I've sat back and thought "Mmmm, not your brightest idea that, H 'n' H. Better get on and complete this flight as the pax are sort of relying on you here!".

Will it happen in my lifetime? Military - well, one could argue that we are simply increasing our use of drones which started in 1849 and the use of drones in warfare has now become routine; just another "tool of the trade" of killing (I'm ex-Mil btw). Some cargo? Almost certainly. SLF flights? Probably not in the few decades I may have left ahead of me. But it may be closer than I think. I suspect the biggest hurdle will be the seamless transition from today's airspace environment to an autonomous one.

Interesting times to be sure! H 'n' H