View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 12:24
Here to Help

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://news.com.au/common/story_page...E28101,00.html

Pilot denies collision threat
By Paul Colgan
December 4, 2003

THE pilot of the light aircraft allegedly involved in a near miss with a passenger jet over Melbourne yesterday says he is "surprised anyone bothered to mention it" because it "seemed nothing out of the ordinary".

John Knispel, a former air force pilot, said he believed there was never any threat his Cessna aircraft would collide with the Virgin Blue flight, and that air traffic controllers were in command of the situation at all times.

Union bosses opposed to the introduction of a new system of controlling national airspace have claimed the Virgin Blue 737 and Mr Knispel's Cessna were within 20 seconds of a mid-air collision.

Virgin and Federal Transport Minister John Anderson said today the matter was under investigation but they did not believe the incident threatened safety at any time.

Mr Knispel's account of the matter adds weight to Mr Anderson's argument that unions were exaggerating aviation incidents to stifle change in the industry.

The pilot-turned-executive, who now runs a family citrus business in Adelaide, disagreed with the assessment that his plane was within 20 seconds of a collision. "My general impression was that everything was under control," he said. "I'm rather puzzled to find there's quite a bit of media interest in it today."

Three separate investigations are underway into the incident after a collision alarm sounded in the cockpit of the 737 as it descended into Melbourne after a flight from the Gold Coast.

Mr Knispel said he was in contact with radar controllers and the pilots of other aircraft in the area at the time.

"There were two aircraft behind me going into Melbourne," he said.

"As far as I am aware, the radar controller was watching all of us on his screen. He was telling us what to do.

"As the Virgin aircraft approached me from behind, he asked me to turn right.

"(The Virgin plane) went past me. As I understand it, he had a device on board which tells you when other aircraft are around, and it was triggered off.

"The Virgin aircraft advised that this had happened, but it was all very relaxed. I formed the opinion from the way it was discussed that it was nothing out of the ordinary.

Mr Knispel did not see the Boeing 737 passing him. "I understood he was 500 feet higher than us. We had turned off the track we were following, so in addition to the altitude separation, the air traffic controller was watching us."

The air traffic controllers and the 737 pilot seemed relaxed, he said. "I was surprised that anybody concerned bothered to mention it after the event. I was rather fascinated to hear that the device had been triggered off, but I'm not familiar with what the parameters are for triggering it off."

An Air Ambulance Victoria plane operated by the Royal Flying Doctor Service was the other aircraft involved. Air Ambulance Victoria said today the pilot of its plane was under the guidance of Melbourne air traffic control.

"At no time did the Air Ambulance represent a safety risk to the Virgin aircraft or the Cessna," Air Ambulance Victoria said.

NEWS.com.au