PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The sounds of silence............Nov 27th
Old 4th Dec 2003, 11:40
Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inclusive system is what it should be all about. With Radar the risk, certainly when at least one IFR, is involved is minimal.

IFR descending into (e.g.) BK training area is no problem, one gets almost too much information from Radar. When I fly in some quite remote CTAF's, RPTs usually tell me they have me on TCAS sooner or later (and then sometimes rather rudely attempt to usher me away) and quite often if there is radar coverage, they get RAS too.

All of which means the tables have turned - RPT/IFR have all that gear and help and so it must be their responsibility to avoid the poor old VFR jock, who of course will be helping matters along with transponder on (that he does not need to have) and blaring away.

Now, what happens when there is no TCAS, no radar or only VFR's using their highly sophisticated mk 1 eyeballs to keep clear of eachother?

Ahh! but John and wotsit from the USA told us there is virtually no risk of collision away from an airport - it's just a matter of risk management.... So I guess we don't need to rely on the patchy radar coverage we have or TCAS at all?