PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2020, 13:09
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFlyingWalrus
I wonder if 02 is obstacle limited with the big railway shed to the right? .......

Over the years the emergency turn procedure for 20 came and went. Essentially if engine fail turn right 15 deg at end of the runway over the Itchen.
On the 146 this would give us maybe another 200kg. But it was dependent on some trees right on the edge of the Type A chart (I think it was) and whether these were factored in or disregarded by the powers that be.

I’m very grateful to have had many great years at SOU and I wish the airport all the best. R.
The 15 degree right turn procedure is still in place as an alternative Type A Chart for 20 in order to get a better obstacle environment. Problem was that the closest trees were too close to allow for the turn to be executed, therefore resulting in having to use the straight ahead Type A. Hopefully this problem, including the trees you mention, will go away now that extensive tree work has been done and new versions of the 20 Type A's are published.

You mention +200 KG on the 146, a figure of up to 3 tonnes was quoted by BRAL ops as limiting 145 departures off 20 with the offending trees in place, again too close to take advantage of the 15 degree turn.

Cannot comment on whether the large shed north of the runway is performance limiting, maybe there is a perfomance guru out there who could?

I too enjoyed having the 146s resident, once came back from Malaga to SOU on the jump seat, in the days we could. A good bunch of guys to work with, most converting on to the 195s.